Friday, March 7, 2008

Peter - healing one man & stickin' it to The Man (again)

v.1 - it's an interesting thing to me that Peter and John are still going to the Temple for prayer/worship even after all that has happened. The idea of going to the Temple was to go where God is. They no longer needed to do that, since God (Holy Spirit) was in them and went with them where ever they went. I think this has some modern-day application. While I do believe God can make radical changes to people when they trust in Him (i.e. at the point of their conversion), the sanctification process usually takes a while. It's probably unwise to expect a brand new follower/believer to immediately stop doing something they've been doing for years.

vv.6-8 - talk about your step of faith! - Peter tells this crippled beggar to get up and walk and bases his authority to instruct him to do this on Jesus. This guy had not walked in his 40 years on this planet...ever. No doubt, he got up that morning hoping to get just enough money from generous worshippers (those 2 probably should go hand-in-hand: worship of God, generosity to man) to get the food he needed for the day. Now, here's a dude yelling at him to get up and walk. Walk?! I'm sure they guy dreamed about it, but probably told himself to quit thinking that way, as it would only lead to a disappointing realization that he would never get to do such a thing. I'm not sure what I would've done - I guess I would've tried (what do I have to lose?) - but there would've had to have been some worry (what if my legs can't hold my weight? what if I stumble? who'll teach me to walk? what if I walk for today, or a week, and things go bad after that and I am crippled again? can I handle the disappointment?). Isn't that the thing about "steps of faith?" Not knowing all the answers to the questions is precisely what makes it a step of faith. If I know how everything is going to turn out, it would be called a step of analyzed surety (and I don't need God for that). It goes on to say that this guy goes in the Temple courts and jumps(!!) and praises God. I bet you wouldn't have been able to shut this guy up. That's probably a natural response when you've taken a step of faith and seen God come through so big time. Maybe the "play it safe" lifestyle makes me a lukewarm worshipper.

vv.12-26 - once again, Peter (the former fisherman) takes an opportunity to boldly talk about Jesus and to nail the Jewish leadership to the wall. The irony is huge - the guy who so worried about what people might think that he denied even knowing Jesus, now is making sure people know they are responsible for the death of Jesus (and what they can do about it). What could've made such a change in a person? Obviously, it's seeing the risen Jesus. How else do you explain it? It's not like he was in any less danger of persecution or death today than he was the night Jesus was arrested and tried.

No comments: