Exodus 12-14Chpt. 12 - Passover - the first thing that strikes me is how symbolic/visual/tangible God is. He gives super-specific instructions on the entire process - what day to do what, how to cook the food, when to slaughter the meat, what to eat, what to wear when eating, what to do with any leftovers, etc. The question is why is God so specific on this? I'm not entirely sure. However, I do know that He made us and He knows how we work - most of us are visual learners and these rituals/traditions help us remember. Our problem is we continue to remember the ritual, but forget what it symbolizes. Growing up, my family always had to have French toast on Christmas morning. My family now still does this. I have NO idea why. Maybe it symbolizes our disdain for the French... At any rate, I wonder if present-day Jews really remember the point of the Passover Sedar meal they will soon eat.
The second thing is the blood. This would've been a bit messy and a little bit scary. I think that's not coincidental. For us to have relationship with God, someone had to get messy/dirty and go through a very scary ordeal. Again, the symbolism (lamb, no blemishes, killed at twilight).
The final thing is the deaths. A LOT of people lose their life on that night because of Pharaoh's sin/disobedience. I don't get how this works - but God has allowed us to operate under a system here on earth where my sin affects me and (usually) ripples through to others. This is tough for us to explain about God. If we're truly honest, some are uncomfortable with a God who, when accomplishing His will, sometimes kills (or allows the death) of seemingly innocent people. Our first inclination is to explain things away in an attempt to "defend" God. The hard truth is that God is in charge and He doesn't need defending. He's not trying to get everyone to like Him (or vote Him "most popular Diety"). It's just that when it's your friend/loved one that suffers (i.e. in Iraq or hit by a drunk driver), this is a tough pill to swallow. It makes Job's statement - The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD - all the more amazing, since he was well aquainted with loss. This issue is a HUGE stumbling block for many.
On a side note: can you imagine being in charge of 600,000 men? For every man, there was probably a woman. In each family, there would've been multiple kids. Plus, all there animals. A conservative estimate is that this a group of 2.5 MILLION people (plus all their animals). How did Moses get everyone to do anything together? I have trouble setting up a lunch for 4 people.
Chpt. 14 - The Key to Everything - v. 4 is HUGE: And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD. God tips His hand that the ultimate purpose is His glory. Always has been...always will be.
Showing off - as God does frequently, He doesn't just do the minimum - He is extravagant. It's not just that He got His people out of slavery in Egypt, He does it in this unbelievable way - parting a sea and then walking on dry ground through walls of water. I wonder what people talked about when they were walking through there - or could they even talk? Some friends of mine in Atlanta were pregnant with twin girls, but lost both of them during the pregnancy. They, of course, were heart-broken, but trusted God and exhibited it. Months later, the husband called me and told me he had some good news: his wife was pregnant again...with twins...they were both girls. I cried and told him, "That's God showing off."
Bad idea, Pharaoh - how's that workin' out for ya? After the Red Sea incident, your empire now has virtually no work force and no standing army. Brilliant. Since the average Egyptian would've seen Pharaoh as a deity, they must be thinking, "he wrecked our economic power and he threw away our military power...maybe we should be looking for a new god." Exactly.
No comments:
Post a Comment