Aren't we taught to do this? Whether from parents, at school, or by society/friends, aren't we told to do something great and make sure everyone knows about you and your exploits? Isn't this how you advance in the world? How do we account for the popularity of American Idol? Isn't the driving force behind that phenomenon the desire to "make a name for yourself?" Is this a wrong motive?
Let's see what our answer to that last question looks like after we filter it through the Tower of Babel story of Gen. 11. The motivation to build the tower is explicitly stated in v. 4 - "let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves..." In response to this move to elevate themselves, thus forgetting their position under a Sovereign, omnipotent God, the Lord easily and quickly puts the kibosh on this work project and then has them all speak in different languages (probably so they could not get back to work on this project anytime soon). On a side note, can you imagine leaving for work in the morning speaking your native tongue (i.e. English) and then coming home only able to communicate another language (i.e. Swahili)? How does that conversation at the door with your spouse go? You can't even tell her what's happened! What does the diagram that you draw on a piece of paper to explain the day's events look like? How do you stay together as a family?
Now back to the main point: I believe the answer to the question of whether it is wrong to pursue a name for ourselves is, well, "Yes." It's very American and very pop culture (see facebook, myspace, etc. - I want the whole world to know about me and see me and see what I do and think), but it doesn't seem to line up with a God-follower. God seems completely unwilling to share His glory with anyone (see Isaiah 42:8, 43:7, & 48:11 for just a few examples). Can you imagine what John the Baptist, the guy who said that he must decrease so that Christ could increase, would think if someone told him he should "go make a name for yourself?" Ouch.
I'm trying to think through my life and see if I'm trying to make a name for myself anywhere. I hope not, but I won't be surprised if I find some areas.
Speaking of doing some self-evaluation, check out this from Psalms 4: 4 - "when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. " My first response to this was, that's almost impossible for me because my mind is usually going a million miles an hour. I then go on to read in verse 8 - "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." Ouch! Why is my mind racing sometimes at night? Because I'm "worrying" about things. Could I do both of these things (self-evaluation and sleep in peace) better if I would just choose to believe the truth that I am safe in God, regardless of what is going on around me? I think so. I read verse 8 this morning, but needed it last night when my son couldn't sleep because he was scared from some commercials he saw yesterday. Oh well, I'll try to pull it out next time. What country do you think is the #1 market for sleeping pills? Of course, us.
Let's see what our answer to that last question looks like after we filter it through the Tower of Babel story of Gen. 11. The motivation to build the tower is explicitly stated in v. 4 - "let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves..." In response to this move to elevate themselves, thus forgetting their position under a Sovereign, omnipotent God, the Lord easily and quickly puts the kibosh on this work project and then has them all speak in different languages (probably so they could not get back to work on this project anytime soon). On a side note, can you imagine leaving for work in the morning speaking your native tongue (i.e. English) and then coming home only able to communicate another language (i.e. Swahili)? How does that conversation at the door with your spouse go? You can't even tell her what's happened! What does the diagram that you draw on a piece of paper to explain the day's events look like? How do you stay together as a family?
Now back to the main point: I believe the answer to the question of whether it is wrong to pursue a name for ourselves is, well, "Yes." It's very American and very pop culture (see facebook, myspace, etc. - I want the whole world to know about me and see me and see what I do and think), but it doesn't seem to line up with a God-follower. God seems completely unwilling to share His glory with anyone (see Isaiah 42:8, 43:7, & 48:11 for just a few examples). Can you imagine what John the Baptist, the guy who said that he must decrease so that Christ could increase, would think if someone told him he should "go make a name for yourself?" Ouch.
I'm trying to think through my life and see if I'm trying to make a name for myself anywhere. I hope not, but I won't be surprised if I find some areas.
Speaking of doing some self-evaluation, check out this from Psalms 4: 4 - "when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. " My first response to this was, that's almost impossible for me because my mind is usually going a million miles an hour. I then go on to read in verse 8 - "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." Ouch! Why is my mind racing sometimes at night? Because I'm "worrying" about things. Could I do both of these things (self-evaluation and sleep in peace) better if I would just choose to believe the truth that I am safe in God, regardless of what is going on around me? I think so. I read verse 8 this morning, but needed it last night when my son couldn't sleep because he was scared from some commercials he saw yesterday. Oh well, I'll try to pull it out next time. What country do you think is the #1 market for sleeping pills? Of course, us.
2 comments:
So, the best thing about having a blog is knowing someone other than yourself is reading it.
I enjoyed my voyage down "deep thought river" and look forward to returning.
w
I am thrilled you've joined the blogging world. It gives me something else to read and forget about my own drama all the time. What great postings - you could start an online Bible study! I passed your blog address on to Mark too so he can comment on the OU game. He wasn't a very happy camper that night!!
Post a Comment